Today’s installment of Thread Matters is all about our floss… or Aurifloss! Have you met this lustrous 6-strand beauty, wrapped up on its adorable little wooden spool?
Aurifloss is made with 100% long staple cotton, perfectly suited for stitching on all different types of fabric. It is a brilliant six-strand divisible thread that may be used as purchased, or separated to use one or more strands to create thread of various thicknesses. Each darling little wooden spool contains 18yds of floss, neatly packaged to remain tangle free and travel ready for stitching on the go! The best part is, it is available in all 270 of our Cotton colors, ensuring that you always have the perfect color for your project needs.
- Size 26 Bohin or similar needle for cross stitch projects
- Embroidery or crewel needle in size of your choice for hand embroidery projects
- Use a length no longer than your forearm, approximately 18″ max
- Huck embroidery
- Miniature punch-needle embroidery
Our social media coordinator, Hilary Jordan (also of By Hilary Jordan) used our Aurifloss to stitch up a series of blocks for our 2012 Aurifil Designer Block of the Month reboot last year. She changed up the colors for each and we just love the contrast against the B&W borders. The finished quilt will be a stunner!
Hilary also uses Aurifloss for all of her cross-stitch projects and finds that 2 strands of floss and a number 26 Bohin needle does the trick every time!
New Aurifil Designer Susan Ache (@yardgrl60 on Instagram) uses Aurifloss for her cross-stitch creations and we are ever in awe of her artistry. Stay tuned for a fabulous series all about cross-stitch with Susan, kicking off tomorrow!
We’ve been checking out what other makers out there are doing with our floss and have gotten lost in a sea of stitched beauty. We’re showcasing a few of our favorites here, in a variety of applications.
Stitched Samplers, Artwork, and more:
Are you feeling as inspired as we are? Grab some Aurifloss and dive right in. We’re including a few handy resources below, as well as links to some of our super fab designer floss collections. Enjoy and Happy Stitching!
- How to Cross-Stitch by Imagine Gnats
- Wild Olive Embroidery Basics
- Hand Quilting with Sarah Fielke
- Hand Embroidery Tutorials by Sublime Stitching
- Library of Embroidery Stitches by Mollie Makes
- 15 Stitches Every Embroiderer Should Know by The Spruce Crafts
COLLECTIONS TO GRAB
- Lori Holt – Bee Basics Aurifloss
- Joanna Figueroa – Retro Farmhouse Floss
- Susan Ache – Little Quaker Christmas
- Alicia Jacobs Dujet – Twinkle Twinkle
- Sweetwater – Harmony
- Aurikids/Gwendolyn Sheppard – Spool-en-dids
- Annela Hoey – Stay Gold
- Lynn Krawczyk – Bohemian Bliss
- Wendy Sheppard – Marmalade Meadows
- Heather Givans – Literary